28 January 2022
No.10 basic education high school that was called as royal Dio High School in Aung Myay Thazan Township, Mandalay will be documented as a new destination for tourists.
This school was more than 153-year old and King Mindon, Prince Thone Sae, a son of King Mindon and Saya Hmat Gyi laid the foundation of the school on 7th June 1869. Prince Thone Sae, King Thibaw and other 8 princes learned English language in this school and it was called as Thante school for the accommodation of diplomats.
After 1885 King Thibaw passed away, it was renowned as the society for the propagation of the Gospel (SPG) in 1886. Since 1942, the school was closed for about 10 years during the 2nd War World and it was used as a hospital and the school was reopened in May 1951.
As the school was the learning center of princes and relatives of royal families, Sayagyi U BaThan was re-established the school as the Royal Dioceason High School, Mandalay. In 1965, the school was opened as the state-owned No.10 Basic Education School.
The architectural works of Yadanabon era can be seen without losing original styles till now and the ancient photos, pictures, paintings and documents can be found. So, it will be recorded as the new destination for the tourists to maintain ancient cultural heritage.
-- End --